Adventure Photographer | Film Maker | LUMIX Pro user
The ColorEdge monitor is a vital piece of equipment for me. My work involves a lot of stills editing - For everything from print editorial for magazines, to brand campaigns that will end up on shopfronts and billboards. Standout features for me are the incredibly accurate colour rendition, the ability to switch between colour spaces and the crisp 4K resolution. When it’s video editing time, I’ve got the same beautiful 4K display ready to roll, and just switch to another user calibration setting which is set up for my 4K post-production workflow! Amazing.
LACHLAN GARDINER is an Australian photographer, writer and filmmaker based in Brisbane. His time is shared between undertaking editorial assignments, commercial campaigns and creating narrative-based visual content. Valued clients include: leading outdoor brands, respected organisations, travel operators and tourism offices. Lachlan’s work shifts between multiple genres, but is often defined by a common theme: Impactful storytelling in the natural world. His work has been recognised with several national and international awards. Some career highlights include: Scaling unclimbed Himalayan mountains in Nepal, searching for the world’s rarest bird in Outback Queensland, and producing commercial brand campaigns on vertical cliff faces. He thrives in harsh environments and believes a good story should always be told.
My full-time freelance work is a mixture of brand campaigns, tourism, editorial, doco type work - Mostly outdoors in harsh environments. Editing all of this happens at home in my office/studio/gear room. I’ve been a long-time EIZO user, so recently when upgrading the CS2740 was the ideal choice. Perfectly suited to my spit demands of high-end stills post-production, along with handling a 4K video editing workflow.
- CAMERA: LUMIX S-Series cameras: For basically all of my professional stills and video work, I use the LUMIX S-Series line-up, the S1H, S1, S1R and S5. All are professional-grade full-frame mirrorless bodies. The S-Series combines awesome image quality, super-solid build quality, top-notch video features and codec, and so much more. Se Series Full-Fram mirrorless bodies, the S1H, S1, S1R & S5. My work is fast-paced, diverse and I trust the LUMIX kit to deliver, even in tough weather conditions and on long trips into the wilderness.
- LENS: Lumix S-Pro & S Lenses: Of course I’ve got a collection of the L-Mount Lumix lenses to complement my kit. 16-35mm f/4 lens, S-Pro 24-70mm f/2.8 lens, S-Pro 50mm f/1.4, S-Pro 70-200 f/4, S 24-105 f/4, 1.4X Teleconverter. Of these, the “classic” 24-70 f/2.8 is my go-to for most situations. It’s sharp, fast and the 24 to 70mm focal range is super versatile.
- AUDIO: For on-camera audio and interviews I use the Rode VideoMic Pro+ Shotgun Mic, along with the Rodelink Filmmaker wireless lavalier mic kit and tiny but powerful RODE Wireless Go. These are small and quick to set-up for my type of outdoors run& gun shooting but still deliver good quality sound.
- MEDIA: Prograde Digital SD Cards. To make the ost of the large files, and robust codecs being recorded by the LUMIX bodies I use ProgGrade V90 SD cards. Tough, fast and reliable.
- MONITOR & RECORDER: Atomos NinjaV with AtomX 500gb SSD.
- CAMERA RIGS: My S1H is rigged using the cage, top handle and 15mm rail base rig from KONDOR Blue, a fairly new and very forward-thinking company from LA. My favourite features are the record button top-handle and QR plate that lets me switch from rigged-out video mode to un-rigged stills body in seconds. My S1 body is often the B-cam and is rigged with a Smallrig cage and bits.
- LIGHTING: For off-camera flash duties I’m using the GODOX AD200Pro which is small but very powerful and can be mounted with loads of different modifiers. For any video work which requires a bit of extra continuous lighting, I use a couple of small portable Aputure Amara LED units.
- CAMERA SUPPORT: I’m a big fan of Manfrotto’s range, it’s tough and simply works. The stills tripod is a lightweight BeFree Advanced Carbon model, which is light enough for travel and adventure work but still quite stable. For video shoots some larger Manfrotto 055 alloy 3-section series sticks and 502 series fluid head. Plus a fluid head monopod.
- CAMERA BAGS: Carrying quite a lot of pro-level gear is a big part of my job. Often this is over long distances and through tricky terrain. Currently, I’m using a Shimoda Designs’ Explore 40 & Action X70 Packs. These bags are designed to meet the needs of adventure shooter like myself in a very thoughtful and clever way. Inside the packs, I use several of Shimoda’s Core Units. For a lot of my longer or more activity-based climbing and trekking trips, I also have a collection of super comfy and lightweight Osprey trekking and climbing backpacks. To keep all those extra bits and bobs sorted inside whichever pack, I’ll deploy a variety of smaller padded pouches from Sea To Summit, Thinktank & SmallRig.
- OUTDOOR GEAR: We haven’t got time to talk about all that! Suffice to say, I’m lucky enough to work with a lot of amazing outdoor brands, and love using the gear to make these adventure shoots and trips possible.
- MONITOR: EIZO ColorEdge CS2740: The ColorEdge monitor is a vital piece of equipment for me. My work involves a lot of stills editing - For everything from print editorial for magazines, to brand campaigns that will end up on shopfronts and billboards. Standout features for me are the incredibly accurate colour rendition, the ability to switch between colour spaces and the crisp 4K resolution. When it’s video editing time, I’ve got the same beautiful 4K display ready to roll, and just switch to another user calibration setting which is set up for my 4K post-production workflow! Amazing.
CONTROLS: Apple Majic Keyboard & Mouse, LOUPEDECK+ editing console
- COMPUTERS: Apple Macbook Pro 15in 2.9 GHz 4-Core i7
- DESK: Custom made timber desk with IKEA IDASEN sit-stand motorised frame & match stool. This was a COVID lock-down inspired project. After too many years on the sitting (hunching) program, I was time for an ergonomic upgrade! It’s big, sturdy and I even built a drawer underneath to make sure the desk-top stays nice and tidy.
- STORAGE: LaCie 16TB 2bbig Dock Thunderbolt 3 RAID enclosure, backup 20TB TerraMaster Thunderbolt 3 RAID enclosure, 2x Lacie 2TB USB-C portable HDDs, Several Samsung T5 & T7 SSDs from 500gb to 2TB. PLus offsite backup on several portable drives. Basically options to give me speed, plenty of capacity and redundancy.
Thanks for stopping by and happy shooting! Lachlan.